4/07/2005

Riding in the Sun



.
I went for a ride yesterday and realized (and rediscovered) the reasons why I love it. No doubt the breathtakingly beautiful day (after a long string of unpredictably rainy days) had something to do with it. Maybe it was a recent viewing of "High Plains Drifter" that brought out certain parallels as well. Clint Eastwood can just tilt his head and convey a sense of purpose and attitude like no one else. The motorcycle is a modern-day horse and the cult that surrounds it can seem a bit bizarre to the uninitiated.
By the simple fact of being outside you are forced to deal with the world on a bike. Having grown up (at least in age if not in outlook) as a loner, that interaction with the environment is intoxicating. When riding you have to be very much aware of your surroundings as your life depends on it. The smells, sights, and tactile nature of riding all force you to be "in the moment".
I started riding (if memory serves me correctly) about five years ago. With some time on my hands I managed to get through a riding course and get a license in the process. Having had a few bikes since then, I've come to realize that I am more of a touring biker.
The bike I ride most these days is a R1200C. A cruiser that's extremely comfortable on the highway yet nimble enough to maneuver city streets, its a great compromise for my current riding habits. Having logged in more that 9000 miles in the last 3 years on this bike alone, its really an extension of my personality. Its a lean, mean, lovin' machine (well, two out of those three are accurate.) And if the future is kind enough, I hope to log in many more miles down that long and winding road in the sun.
On my mind: Tobi's hair
On my palette: 2003 Castellana Montepulciano d'Abruzzo
In my ears: No Other Way (Jack Johnson)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home